This easy bean casserole is full of flavor and feels like home. Just bake and serve with a thick slice of lightly buttered rye bread and a cold tossed salad. You can lower the sodium in this recipe by using low-sodium kielbasa and low-sodium beans and tomato sauce.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged black beans
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged navy beans
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged dark red kidney beans
- 1 pound turkey polska kielbasa, diagonally sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots (about 3 medium carrots)
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients in ungreased 3 Quart casserole.
- Cover and bake until carrots are tender, about 1 hour or until hot and bubbly.