Try our spicy breakfast burrito recipe for a delicious breakfast for your Valentine! This recipe calls for all the favorite Southwest ingredients: cilantro, salsa, cheese…but jalapenos pack the heat and spice up this black bean morning favorite.
Makes 4 servings
- 4 flour tortillas (10-inch)
- 8 eggs
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged black beans
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup your favorite salsa
- 1/2 cup light sour cream (optional)
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Additional salsa and sour cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place tortillas in a large covered casserole (or wrap them tightly in aluminum foil) and warm in the oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat together eggs, jalapeno and water. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- In a large nonstick skillet melt butter over medium heat. Cook eggs, stirring, until done.
- To assemble burritos, place a tortilla on a cutting board. Spread a quarter of the scrambled eggs across center of tortilla and top with a quarter of the cheese, beans, scallions, cilantro, salsa, sour cream (if using) and lettuce.
- Fold the tortilla envelope style: bring one side of tortilla just over edge of filling, fold in sides of tortilla, and then roll it up to form a tight bundle. Cut in half crosswise.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas and fillings. Serve burritos with additional salsa and sour cream