This Tex-Mex meatball sandwich recipe is sure to please teens and kids alike. With kidney beans, ground beef and Italian sausage, this sandwich is full of protein and traditional Tex-Mex flavor. Serve on long sandwich rolls or pita bread.
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged kidney beans
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound chorizo or hot Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup finely chopped, divided onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 10-ounce can enchilada sauce
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 6-8 sandwich rolls
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Reserve 1/2 cup whole beans; mash remaining beans with fork or potato masher.
- Combine mashed and whole beans with 1/4 cup onion, meats, garlic, spices and eggs.
- Shape into 16 balls, each about 1 1/2 inches round. Place on a greased baking sheet; bake 20 minutes and drain on paper towels.
- In a saucepan heat oil to prepare the sauce. Sauté remaining onion until soft. Add enchilada sauce and tomato sauce. Simmer 5 minutes. Add meatballs.
- To assemble the sandwiches, split each roll lengthwise, hollow out a cavity down the center of each roll. Fill with 2
- 3 meatballs and a bit of sauce.
Share recipes like this Tex-Mex Meatball Sandwich Recipe with family and friends alike!