A good rice and beans recipe conjures up feelings of home, and this cozy take is no exception. Coconut milk gives this rice and beans recipe a unique island flair. Serve this as a main dish or as a side dish with Jamaican Jerk Chicken! **Recipe updated 2/17/21
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged light or dark red kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 chopped scallions (green onions)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 whole jalapeno pepper
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- Black pepper and salt
- In a large pot, heat 10 cups of water to boiling. Add dry beans and boil for about 2 to 3 minutes (blanch). Remove from heat, cover and let stand overnight (soak). Drain, discarding soak water; rinse both beans and pan with fresh water.
- Cover beans with fresh water; add garlic and salt, stir. Simmer until tender, 30 to 60 minutes. Save 3 cups liquid, discard remaining liquid and garlic clove.
- Return beans and reserved liquid to pot. Add coconut milk, scallions, thyme and chilli pepper. When liquid comes to a boil, stir in rice. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. If needed, add 1 or 2 tablespoons oil to prevent boil over.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Discard chilli pepper. Stir with fork before serving.