Grilling season seems to officially be upon us! This delicious, vegan black bean burger recipe can be made ahead of time and grilled or pan fried when ready to eat. Featuring walnuts and black beans for excellent nutrition, and cumin and cayenne pepper for spice and flare, these burgers are the perfect spring cookout dish! **Recipe updated 3/9/21
Makes 8 burgers
- 2 15-ounce cans, rinsed and drained, or 3 1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged black beans
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons canned corn, drained
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- Guacamole for garnish
- Chunky salsa for garnish
- In a blender or food processor puree 2 1/2 cups beans with cumin, chilli powder and cayenne pepper until smooth. Add rice, walnuts, onion, corn and remaining beans; pulse 2 or 3 times to mix (mixture should be stiff but not dry). Add 2 or 3 tablespoons water to moisten, if necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill if making ahead. Divide mixture into 8 burgers. Dredge burgers in cornmeal. Chill 30 minutes (unless mixture has been made earlier and chilled).
- Coat non-stick pan or grill with cooking spray. Cook burgers over medium heat 4 minutes. Flip, and cook 4 minutes more or until heated through.
- Garnish with guacamole and salsa, if desired, and serve.