Beans add a healthy twist to this Tex-Mex version of a family favorite.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged pinto beans
- 1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilis
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 dozen corn tortillas
- 16 ounces low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 egg
Optional: shredded cheddar cheese, chopped fresh tomato, chopped green onions, sliced black olives and lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large frying pan, brown beef; drain. Sauté onions & garlic until soft. Add beans, tomatoes, green chillies, garlic, cumin and pepper. Heat through.
- To soften tortillas, layer between damp paper towels and microwave until warm.
- Put layer of tortillas in bottom of greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Pour beef mixture over tortillas. Put another layer of tortillas on top. Set aside.
- Combine cottage cheese, Monterey Jack cheese and egg; pour over tortillas and bean mixture. Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle rows of cheddar cheese, fresh tomatoes, green onions, olives and lettuce diagonally across casserole.