This flavor-packed chili recipe was created by the Grand Prize Chili Recipe Winner: Dave Kaiser of Edina, Minnesota. With multiple varieties of peppers, various spices and seasonings, and protein-packed Pinto beans, this tasty recipe isn’t just for fall, but is good all year round!
Makes 8 servings
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 8 sweet cherry peppers, seeded, chopped
- 2 jalapeqo chiles, seeded, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged pinto beans
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1-1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Assorted garnishes: diced tomatoes, avocados, red onion, chopped cilantro, shredded cheese
- In a large pot over medium-high heat cook meats until browned, about 10 minutes; drain fat.
- Stir in cherry peppers and chillies and cook 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in tomatoes and liquid, tomato paste, water, chili powder, onion powder, coriander, white and cayenne pepper.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer, 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans and tortilla chips. Season to taste with salt.
- Ladle chili into bowls and serve with assorted garnishes.