How to Make Kidney Bean Burger Patty?
Wash, Soak, Cook, and Mash:
1) Wash the red kidney beans under cold running water until the water runs clear, or rinse them until the water is longer cloudy.
Soak them in enough water – for at least 8 hours or overnight. Or go for a quick soaking method: Take kidney beans and water (at least 2 inches above the beans) in a saucepan. Let it come to a boil on medium heat. Once it starts boiling, turn off the stove, cover it and let it sit for 1 hour.
2) Drain the soaking water. Add 2 fresh cups of water and cook the beans.
Instant pot: Pressure cook (manual) high pressure 8-10 minutes.
Stove-top: simmer for 30-40 minutes. You may need more water.
Stove-top pressure cooker: 1 whistle on high heat, then lower the heat and cook for 10 minutes.
Also, boil the sweet potato. I have cooked both beans and sweet potato at the same time in the instant pot.
Alternatively, you can oven roast the sweet potato slices.
3) Drain the cooked beans completely. Make sure to get rid of all the water and the beans are as dried as possible.
Mash them with a fork or potato masher.
4) Also, peel and mash the sweet potato. Measure it to 1 cup and keep it aside.
Cooking Onion, Spice Mixture:
5) Heat the 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add chopped onions, green chilies, and minced ginger.
Sprinkle a little salt to speed up the process.
6) Stir and cook until the onion becomes soft and light pink.
7) Now add spices (turmeric powder, red chili powder, and garam masala).
8) Mix well and cook for 30 seconds. Then turn off the stove.
Let the mixture cool down slightly.
Making Patty Mixture for the Burger:
9) Take mashed kidney beans and sweet potatoes in a bowl.
10) Add cooked onion mixture, cilantro, lime juice, and remaining salt.
11) Mix and use your judgment on how much breadcrumbs to add. I have added ½ cup.
12) Mix everything well. The mixture should come together like a dough ball. It should not be too soft or too sticky.
Shaping and Cooking Kidney Bean Burger Patty:
13) Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions to get a really thick patty (as seen in the pics) or 8 portions for medium thickness patty.
14) Use your hand to give a round shape. Also, seal the sides and make sure there are no cracks.
15) Heat a generous amount of oil in a cast-iron skillet on medium-low heat. TIP: Please use a good amount of oil. These are a vegetarian burger, so they need more oil, unlike the meat burger patty which already has fat in them.
16) Once golden brown and slightly crisp from the bottom, flip and cook another side.
Nice Golden Crust:
It is very important to cook them on medium-low heat to ensure the even browning without burning and crust. This is not the meat patty that you have to worry about over-cooking and drying the texture. Take your time and make it perfect.
Sauce and Topping:
Here I have made the yogurt sauce. It is very simple, mix thick yogurt (or greek yogurt) with hot sauce. You will have the creamy, thick, spicy sauce ready. This goes well with the slight sweetness of the sweet potatoes. Of course, you can choose any other sauce of your choice. For the topping, you can go for classic onion, tomato, lettuce, avocado. But here I have sauteed the thick slices of onion, peppers in little oil and seasoned with salt and mixed Italian dried herbs.