Packed with flavorful spices, veggie varieties, and nutritional value, this is a white bean recipe you don’t want to miss out on! These middle eastern pitas make for a quick, light, delicious, and healthy meal. Serve with a cucumber or green salad.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked dry-packaged white beans
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, coarsely chopped cucumber
- 1 cup coarsely crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley
- 4 whole pita bread rounds, halved crosswise
- Plain yogurt
- In a medium bowl whisk olive oil and white wine vinegar. Combine cumin, coriander, cinnamon and cayenne pepper, blend with the oil mixture.
- Place drained white beans in large bowl and mix in enough vinaigrette to coat. Let stand 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Add tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, red onion, and parsley to white beans. Mix in enough vinaigrette to coat. Season bean salad to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fill pita halves with bean salad and top with dollop of yogurt. Place 2 pita halves on each of 4 plates; pass remaining vinaigrette separately.